May 15 - 17
Walk Where You Are to Support our Life Changing Work
As a virtual walker you will use email and social media to fundraise and build awareness about the free support groups and education programs NAMI Connecticut provides throughout the state.
The Coronavirus outbreak is leaving many people feeling anxious, angry, sad, or scared. People living with mental health conditions, their loved ones, and their caregivers face unique challenges during this public health crisis.
NAMI Connecticut is here for the people who count on us for help and hope with virtual support groups and education programs.
To serve our community and to reach people with mental health issues and their loved ones who need help at this unprecedented time, NAMI Connecticut is holding three statewide online support groups. Our nine affiliates and our dedicated volunteers are also holding virtual support groups and education programs. Currently there are 10 family support groups, 11 NAMI Connection peer support groups, 2 veterans support groups, 6 Young Adult Connection Community support groups—including a daily YACC group, and 3 NAMI- CAN (Child & Adolescent Network) groups available online. And we are working every day to add more. Information about all our support groups is continually being updated and can be found here.
One Family to Family class is already online and two more classes will start in the next two weeks. For information about education programs, or to register, email Iris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We need you to walk with us—wherever you are—the weekend of May 15 - 17. It’s easy, it’s fun, and it’s a perfect way to help NAMI Connecticut deliver on our promises that there is hope, that we are here for you, and you are not alone.
If you haven't already started registered yourself or your team, today is the day. Here are a few ideas to help you get started:
- Commit to walk, run, or bike where you are—whether it’s whether it’s on a treadmill, a stationary bike, or around your neighborhood—anything you can do alone or with the with the members of your household.
- Register on our walk website
- Create a virtual team (or walk where you are without one)
- Use your personal or team pages, social media and email to encourage family, friends, co-workers and neighbors to sponsor you no matter where they live.
- Let the world know you are walking. Share a link to your walker or team page on social media using #NAMICTWALK2020.
- The weekend of May 15 to 17, share photos and videos of your walk on social media. Use the #NAMICTWALK2020 and we will share your photos and videos on our social media too.
In the coming weeks and throughout the walk weekend NAMI Connecticut will be hosting virtual events for our walkers and our sponsors. We will be sharing all of our upcoming virtual events by email, on our website and on our Facebook and Instagram.
Want to learn more about social media strategies you can use before and during the virtual walk? Join us on Thursday, April 16, at 12:30 pm for a Zoom lunch and learn.
With your help this will be a fun and interactive online event but will also keep us safe through social distance not social isolation.
The money raised through our walk helps fund our transformative work. NAMI's signature education programs, Family to Family, Homefront, Basics, and Ending the Silence help family members and parents of people with mental illness understand mental health conditions and support their loved one while maintaining their own well-being. Our support groups are there to let people affected by mental health issues know they are not alone.
Here’s how your support builds hope and gives help:
- $1,000: Materials for two NAMI Family to Family classes
- $500: Cost to train one NAMI Basics teacher
- $250: Materials for one NAMI Peer to Peer course
- $100: One month of Parent support groups
- $50: Materials for one Suicide prevention class
Need Help Getting Started?
Create your team and start FUNdraising!
Check out the links below to start your campaign.