NAMI Basics is a FREE six-week program that allows families to connect to another while learning about mental illness, its impact on children and adolescents, strategies to deal with schools and providers and tool to empower parents/caregivers to overcome new challenges. This program is for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents with a diagnosis of mental illness or in the process to get an evaluation with diverse and complex needs.
Program Highlights include:
- Solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Accepting that mental health conditions are no one's fault
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child's rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about different types of mental health care professionals, available treatment options and therapies
- Preparing for and responding to crisis
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
- Brain biology and getting a diagnosis
To meet increasing demand for more convenient access to the program, NAMI created an OnDemand version of NAMI Basics, which is offered online and available 24/7.
All three NAMI Basics format options - in person, virtual and On Demand - offer parents and caregivers the unique opportunity to quickly realize they're not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
To register for Basics on Demand visit: Basics on Demand
To register for the next virtual class via Zoom, please fill out the form below completely. Once registered, you will be contacted by a teacher for a brief phone interview.
NAMI Basics Online Via Zoom:
Date: Thursdays October 7 - November 11, 2021
Time: 10:00am - 12:45pm
Teachers are Mary and Evan